The Department of Anthropology awards the Jonathan C. Spear Memorial Scholarship in memory of Jonathan C. Spear who was an undergraduate student in the 1990s. As established by his family to honor him, the award is specifically for students studying the prehistoric archaeology of America.
The Award: Up to $1500.00 towards tuition and fees for one semester. In the event the committee recognizes multiple awardees the money will be shared.
Eligibility: Undergraduate students currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Anthropology at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville with a concentration of study in prehistoric archaeology of America.
- The student awarded this scholarship must be completing his/her junior year or entering his/her senior year.
- The student awarded this scholarship shall have demonstrated successful performance in the study of prehistoric archaeology of America.
- The award is based on academic achievement. Financial need is not a determining factor; however, it may be a consideration.
- Students who apply for this scholarship may not apply for the Jeffers scholarship during the same award cycle.
- Previous winners may not apply again.
How to Apply:
Complete the application form below.
Deadline for Submission: Applications must be received no later than Thursday March 25th .
Selection of Recipient(s): Applications will be reviewed by the Undergraduate Curriculum Committee who will make a recommendation for final selection by the Anthropology faculty.
Application for the Jonathan C. Spear Memorial Scholarship
Department of Anthropology
Students may apply for EITHER the Jeffers or the Spears Scholarship; not both.