Archaeological method and theory, historical archaeology of eastern North America and the Caribbean, archaeology of the African diaspora, colonialism, historic landscapes, material culture, public archaeology and interpretation, Thomas Jefferson.
- Ph.D. 1988, American Civilization with specialization in Historical Archaeology, University of Pennsylvania.
- M.A. 1983, American Civilization with specialization in Historical Archaeology, University of Pennsylvania.
- B.A. 1982, Anthropology, The College of William and Mary.
- 2015 Poplar Forest, Virginia (United States). In The Archaeology of Food: An Encyclopedia, Karen Bescherer Metheny and Mary Beaudry, editors, pp. 414-415. Rowman & Littlefield.
- McMillan, Lauren K., D. Brad Hatch and Barbara J. Heath. 2015. Dating and Chronology at the John Hallowes Site (44WM6), Westmoreland County, Virginia. Northeast Historical Archaeology 43:18-36.
- Hatch, D. Brad, Barbara J. Heath and Lauren K. McMillan. 2014. Reassessing the Hallowes Site: Conflict and Settlement in the 17th-century Potomac Valley. Historical Archaeology 48(4):46-75.
- Heath, Barbara J. 2013. Landscape Archaeology at Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest. In Sourcebook for Garden Archaeology: Methods, Techniques, Interpretations and Field Examples, edited by Aichal Malek, pp.697-706. Peter Lang AG /Fondation des Parcs et Jardins de France, Bern.
- Jefferson’s Poplar Forest: Unearthing a Virginia Plantation. (Barbara J. Heath and Jack Gary, editors). 2012.University Press of Florida, Gainesville.
- Assessing Variability among Quartering Sites in Virginia. (Heath, Barbara J. and Eleanor Breen). 2012. Northeast Historical Archaeology 38:1-28 (2009).
- Memory, Race and Place: African American Landscapes at Poplar Forest. (Barbara J.Heath and Lori A. Lee). 2010. History Compass 8(12):1352-1368.
- Space and Place within Plantation Quarters in Virginia, 1700-1825. Cabin, Quarter, Plantation: Architecture and Landscapes of North American Slavery (Clifton Ellis and Rebecca Ginsburg, editors). 2010. Yale University Press.
- Current Research in Australia and New Zealand, An Overview. (Alistair G. Paterson and Barbara J. Heath). 2009. Historical Archaeology 43(3):112-118.
- ‘The little spots allow’d them’: The Archaeological Study of African-American Yards. (Barbara J. Heath and Amber M. Bennett). 2009. Perspectives from Historical Archaeology: African Diaspora Archaeology edited by Nicholas Honercamp. The Society for Historical Archaeology.
- Thomas Jefferson’s Landscape of Retirement. Post-Medieval Estate Landscapes: Design, Improvement and Power, (Jonathan Finch and Kate Giles, editors). 2007. The Society for Post Medieval Archaeology Monograph no. 4. Boydell & Brewer, Ltd., Woodbridge.
- Engendering Choice: Slavery and Consumerism in Central Virginia. Engendering African American Archaeology, (Amy Young and Jillian Galle, editors). 2004. University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville.