Research Associate Professor; Director, McClung Museum
Southeastern Archaeology, Paleoethnobotony, Museology, Public Archaeology
- Ph.D. 1975, Anthropology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- M.A. 1973, Anthropology, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- M.A.T. 1968, History Education, Brown University
- B.A. 1965, Anthropology, Yale University
- Chapman, J (2009) The Icehouse Bottom Site. In Archaeology in America, An Encyclopedia, Volume 1, edited by Francis P. McManamon. Greenwood Press, Westport, CT.
- Chapman, J. (2009) Prehistoric American Indians in Tennessee. Research Notes #27. On line publication Frank H. McClung Museum and the Tennessee State Museum.
- Chapman, J (2003) Prehistoric Native American Art in Tennessee. In Art of Tennessee. Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville.
- Chapman, J (1998) Bifurcate Tradition, Doerschuk Site, Hardaway Site, and Tellico Archaeology. In Archaeology of Prehistoric Native America, An Encyclopedia, edited by Guy Gibbon. Garland Publishing, Inc. New York
- Chapman, J (1995) Tellico Archaeology: 12,000 Years of Native American History. Revised Edition. The University of Tennessee Press, Knoxville
- Chapman, J and PJ Watson (1993) The Archaic Period and the Flotation Revolution. In Foraging and Farming in the Eastern Woodlands, edited by C. M. Scarry. University Presses of Florida, Gainesville.
- Chapman, J and S Myster (1991) The Kimberly-Clark Site: A Late Archaic Cremation Cemetery. In The Archaic Period in the Mid-South, edited by C. H. McNutt, pp. 35-39. Occasional Papers No. 16, Memphis State University.
- Chapman, J., HR Delcourt, and PA Delcourt (1989) Strawberry Fields, Almost Forever. Natural History 9(89):50-59.
- Chapman, J. (1985) Archaeology and the Archaic Period in the Southern Ridge and Valley Province. In Structure and Process in Southeastern Archaeology , edited by Roy S. Dickens and H. Trawick Ward, pp. 137-153. The University of Alabama Press.